EPS insulation boards are suitable for the insulation of new and renovated buildings. When choosing EPS boards, one has to know the wall construction and the possible or necessary insulation thickness. In general, walls are insulated on the exterior side. It is the best solution from the aspect of thermal insulation and excludes the cold bridge in the connection of the exterior and interior wall..
Depending on the construction of the exterior wall and the intended elaboration, you can use thermal insulation as follows:
- In frame constructions and multi-layer (supporting wall+insulation+finishing not fixed on insulations) wall constructions no load affects insulation and the softest material EPS 50 may be used. EPS board does not require additional wind screen, the air insulation in the connecting point of the frame and the EPS board has to be completed.
- When the facade is elaborated with thin-wall plaster, the insulation board has to bear the load of the plaster layer and in this case the insulation board used has to be at least EPS 60 or EPS 60 Silver.
When insulating the wall, it is important to use EPS boards with adequate thickness because it forms the smallest part of the total thermal insulation costs but its impact is the biggest.
Advantages of EPS in insulating walls
- EPS allows steam to permeate and due to that ensures a breathing wall construction
- Easily workable – it is easy to install the material
- Between different frames (when cutting, use a saw with thin teeth or a toothed knife)
- Adequately strong – when densely installed, it makes the frame extra rigid (sealing foams may be used for sealing)
- Sealing – when installed on the frame compression, slumping of EPS and air movement in between insulation layers is out of the question
- In multi-layer wall constructions it is not necessary to construct additional frame for the installation of EPS
- Contains no particles that cause irritation or itching